Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Making Science Cool

A few weeks ago my boss and some of her colleagues interviewed a handful of children on what they thought about science fairs. It turned out that most of the children they interviewed thought science fairs were dorky, un-cool, only for geeks, etc...

This Saturday I am attending the Alberta Science Fair Exhibition and Celebration Dinner and I have been assigned the task of researching new ways to make science fairs "cool". The thing is, I already think science fairs are cool and I have a feeling the students participating in them already have a sense of belonging to and elite group. So, I need suggestions from those outside the science community. What are your thoughts on science fairs and how can they be rebranded cool?

1 Comments:

At 2:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda, science fairs are extremely cool. I find that I am really terrible at science, but when somebody puts together a great project, Im totally interested. I want to learn a great deal about scientific things, but its always better to see experiments in action. There is no need to think of how to make a science fair cool, because I am hooked from the start. If you needed any kind of advice I would say to structure them around the out of highschool crowd, because of course, nothing is cool to them.... ;)

P.S, Just saw the Rolling Stones, and they were INCREDIBLE. Miss you lots, cant wait to visit you in the New Year.

J McClain

 

Post a Comment

<< Home